The Ocksheperida

Filed under Sports, Top Stories

Four broken school records

The boy's swim team celebrated senior night at the Early Building pool. Parents joined each of the seniors as they were honored. The seniors received a flower from teammate Jacob Ahlstrom as head Coach Brent Moore spoke about each of the seniors.

Photo Helen Patten

Photo Helen Patten

The state swimming competition was on Feb. 26-27 at the Campbell County Aquatic Center which is also where the Conference meet was on Feb. 12-13.

Sophomore Oscar Patten earned first in the state in the 500-yard freestyle with a seat time of 5:00.5 for the state and conference meets, and for the conference meet he was seated second in the state with a seat time of 1:49.89 in the 200-yard freestyle. At the conference meet Patten achieved a new personal record in the 500-yard freestyle with a time of 4:58.82 and went a time of 1:49.51 in the 200-meter freestyle. Overall before the state meet, Patten was seated third in the state out of the 4A division, but because there are two different conference meets (east and west) the first place swimmer is competing in West Conference. Sheridan is in the East Conference and so Patten temporarily had the second place seat for conference. At the state meet Patten got a time of 5:02.53, set a new school record in the 500-yard freestyle and got fifth place. In the 200-yard freestyle he also set a new school record with a time of 1:47.34 and got fourth in the state.

Senior Presley Felker was seated second in the state for the 100-yard butterfly with a time of 55.27 for the conference meet, but because of the difference in conferences, he was seated first. At the conference meet Felker swam a time of 55.79, but sophomore Ty Conklin beat him with a time of 55.78.  Felker got a time of 52.75 at the state meet which broke the school record and state championed.

Along with the individual swimmers being placed high in the ranks, the 200-yard relay team which consists of Felker, Patten, senior Jakob Eckard, and junior Jacob Ahlstrom, placed fourth  in the Conference meet. At the state meet the relay team broke the school record with a time of 1:31.02 and got fourth in the state.

The swim team only has four seniors this year and held senior night on Feb. 5 at the Early Building pool. The seniors honored were Dylan Campbell-Peterson, Carlos Fernandez de Cordova, Wade Phelps, Eckard, and Felker. Each of the four seniors accepted a flower as they were recognized immediately after diving was over. The head coach Brent Moore read what each of the seniors plans to do after high school and some advice that they had for the underclassmen.

• Four broken school records

News

Vlogger Logan Paul faces backlash after violating YouTube policies

• Four broken school records

Opinion

Crossfire: Apple iPhone v. Samsung Galaxy S8 and Note 8

• Four broken school records

Sports

Wrestling team pursues improvement

• Four broken school records

A&E

“Pitch Perfect 3” leaves more to be desired

• Four broken school records

Feature

Pitcher prepares for school musical and college career

• Four broken school records

Feature

Moodry finds success in track and academics

• Four broken school records

News

Choir Christmas concert presents enjoyable performance

• Four broken school records

A&E

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi” produces outstanding film

• News

Christmas band concert brings full house

• Four broken school records

News

Winter months bring seasonal depression despite holidays

The student news site of Sheridan High School
Four broken school records